Wednesday 18 May 2011

zombieland

One of my favourite films of all time is Shawn of the Dead.

Shawn of the dead was given the genre classification by its makers as a rom-zom-com, or a romantic comedy with zombies. And it was definitely that - if you'd taken away the zombies you'd have still had a romantic comedy, although you'd have had to introduce a new peril to replace the zombies.

Zombieland is more like a zom-com-rom, in that it's much more like a comedy-horror film with a more secondary romantic element. In that sense it's more like Evil Dead with a romantic element woven in. I use the term "woven in", rather than, say, "bolted on" because it's quite deftly done.

It doesn't feel like the romance is added on, more that if it weren't there the film wouldn't suffer too badly. It could easily have been an odd-couple style buddie movie if it didn't have the romantic element.

Indeed, I think that's probably where its strength lies - the relationship between the two male characters ("Talihasee" and "Columbus") is definitely the highlight of the film.

The zombies are of the modern, fast moving variety. As a general rule I'm not so keen on the fast moving zombie, but I've gotten to the point where I'm so used to seeing them now that it isn't a major issue with me any more. Though to be fair, they're actually more like the infected from 28 days later - not so much the re-animated dead as people infected with a virus that turns them into drugged-up psycho cannibals.

What I would say, however, is there aren't that many real scares, despite the emphasis on the post-apocalyptic/zombie element. I mean, there are a couple of jumps and there's a reasonable amount of gore, but there's not so much in the way of suspenseful or terrifying moment.

There are a lot of good jokes, though - it's a very funny film and it's pitched at a level of humour I always enjoy, as it's of the subtle wisecracking variety. Although I like it a lot, I struggle to find a term to really describe it properly, though.

Then of course there's that cameo from (Is what I'm about to say a spoiler? He's not really credited on the film and it was meant to be something of a surprise, but I'm sure everybody knows by now, right?) Bill Murray, which is just as good as everyone says. Particularly if you're of an age where you're familiar with Murray's early comedy roles.

Although actually if I'm totally honest, there was a better cameo for me personally - they use Metallica's for whom the bell tolls across the (frankly brilliant) title sequence. There was actually quite a lot of good music use in the film, actually.

No comments: