Monday 1 August 2011

hungarian grand prix

I'm gonna do a proper post tomorrow about the announcement over the coverage; today I thought I'd talk about the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Generally speaking, the Hungarian Grand Prix is boring. The problem is a real lack of any overtaking - generally it's won from the front as overtaking is really difficult.

I'm putting that as a kind of excuse, because I didn't really watch the Grand Prix properly. I mean, I had it on, but I also had a few things to do so a good chunk of it I sort of had on in the background.

Well, more fool me, as it was actually a fairly good race. Now to be totally frank, I don't think that was entirely due to the improvements in the racing brought by Pirelli's excellent tyres and the other rule tweaks. A big chunk of it was because the weather was changeable.

It didn't really ever seem to rain properly, but it started damp and then there was a splash of rain towards the end. As ever, changeable weather makes races more interesting.

But it has to be said that they really seem to have done a good job with these new tyres and regs. There were points when it wasn't clear how long tyres would last and choices that had to be made and that's what you want. A lot of the problems of recent years have been because things had become so predictable - and predictably excellent.

Unfortunately, as I say, I didn't really plan things out properly to watch it fully, but then, as I say, it's always been dull in previous years. Apparently the drivers love it though, and there's a really good view for the spectators, but watching on telly nothing tends to happen.

It didn't go so well for Lewis, which was a shame. To be fair, he did kinda deserve his penalty, as he was trying to spin the car around right in the middle of the track. You could understand why he was keen to get back after his spin so quickly, but it wasn't really safe.

And unfortunately from a championship point of view, Vettel ended up finishing second, which means he's still way out in front. It's clear the others have now pretty much caught up with Red Bull, but Vettel has such a lead I'll be amazed if he doesn't have it sown up in a few races.

The Grand Prix now takes its summer holiday, which is a bit of a weird concept, but then the season is much longer nowadays, with more races, so it's understandable.

It should give me a chance to catch up with scanning, though. I admit my slackness started earlier, but the whole thing with the shower (I now have a shower!) meant it was impossible to do any.

No comments: