Friday 26 August 2011

returne des grand prix

So F1 Grand Prix is back.

The first race post-summer break is the famous Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium, which is always a cracker. My dad and sister have actually been to the race. When they went it was bitterly cold and very wet and they were sat on top of the famous big hill, so it was a bit of a miserable experience, though they naturally enjoyed the actual racing.

They tell me that apparently waffles and chips (which are actually a Belgium invention) form the mainstay of the Belgium diet as that's what every food place seemed to sell.

But anyway, that's beside the point.

I'm hoping for a good race. Spa usually produces a good race and there's always the possibility of a sprinkling of rain (I don't know if all of northern Europe has had similar weather to us, but rain this weekend seems like a fairly good bet if it has). Also, the Red Bulls seem to have been a bit on the back foot the last couple of races, so we'll have to see if they can pull it back.

I can't actually remember if Spa suits their car or not, but certainly it's been clear the last few races that Ferrari and McLaren have caught up a lot. Webber also seems to have found his feet a bit.

I still think Sebastian Vettel is a shoe-in for the title, though. He's got such a lead it will be difficult for the others to catch up, especially if they're all in contention and therefore effectively taking points off each other, rather than Vettel. I don't mind that - I think Vettel put in such a string of brilliant performances at the start of the year he would be a deserving winner, but it makes it more interesting if it goes later in the season before being decided.

As I've said before, we've had an odd situation where all the races have been interesting this year, thanks mainly to the new tyre regs, but the championship has been a little dull because Vettel did so well at the start.

If I'm honest, each race being interesting is more appealing to me, so I've enjoyed this season a great deal.

No comments: