Monday 22 August 2011

what a week

Last week was bonkers.

It actually started the week before, and I ended up working most of the Saturday, just in order to get everything done in time. See, during last week I had several meetings that meant I effectively 'lost' one and a half days.

Also, quite a lot of the stuff I do is rather time critical, so I often end up in situations where three different things are all due on the same day, or thing x has to be done for Monday or we miss the proverbial boat. It was an example of the latter that meant I had to come in on the Saturday - I just had to do something before Monday and there was no chance of me doing it before the weekend.

I've also tried to kick off a new schedule for my weekends, as I've started doing my own washing, as I think I mentioned before.

Basically, what I've tried to do is make it so that I have one weekend where I do virtually everything and then the next weekend I do virtually nothing. The idea is that I'll align the virtually nothing weekends with the Grand Prixs.

This of course was before the news that the BBC will only be showing a chopped down version of the GPs next year, but it still remains as an idea. Even when we move out of the GP season I think I'll still keep it going as it means I can use the non-doing stuff weekend to really focus on some other activity.

Anyway, the point of the above is that it was a non-doing stuff weekend where I came in, so it didn't pox me up too much. What it did mean was that on Sunday I was knackered and did virtually nothing. I didn't even go out for a walk in the afternoon. I also ate pretty badly on the Saturday, probably as a comforting thing.

The week went okay - I had loads to do, but I think the Saturday helped a lot as I didn't have to stay late. Also, we got an extension on one of the things I was doing, so Friday became much less of a panic and allowed me to finish off a bunch of other stuff that needed doing.

This week looks much calmer and emphasises the point, really - last week bonkers busy, this week, not so much. I actually really wish I worked flexi at times like this - sacrificing weekends and working long weeks wouldn't be so bad if I knew I could do fewer hours when it's quiet or have extra days off.

No comments: