Monday 5 September 2011

damp enough for you, sir?

I got an absolute soaking on yesterday afternoon’s walk.

I’d checked the forecast the day before, so I kinda new rain was forecast.  In fact, to be honest, I was actually hoping for a bit of rain.

My afternoon walk on Saturday had been rather sticky.  It was surprisingly warm for the time of year (are we going to have an Indian summer, I wonder?) and I’d thought a little sprinkling of rain might not go amiss.

When I set off I took my cap as it was just starting to spot with rain and for about three quarters of the walk it kept spotting on and off.  It was also pretty muggy again, so these spots were actually quite welcome.

I didn’t take any sort of coat or other rain protection, though, as I figured if it did rain properly I wasn’t going to be that far from home and I could possibly duck under cover if needed.  But this was a bit of a mistake.

When it started raining, it quickly changed into a deluge and I got very wet very quickly.  Also, the timing was very unfortunate, as I was a good way from any decent cover and by the time I reached cover, I was so wet, stopping wouldn’t have made much difference.  I’d have just ended up being cold and wet for ages, before having to set off in the wet anyway (it continued raining for hours).

I therefore continued on and the rain managed to somehow get even heavier.  As I was coming down the bit that leads to where I live, there were rivers running down the road and everything.  It was a veritable monsoon.

This, of course, had that weird side effect of that super-pleasant feeling you get when you come in out of the rain and dry off and change into fresh clothes.  It’s a really oddly pleasant experience.

To emphasise just how wet it was, my clothes were still sopping wet when I went to bed and rather damp when I checked them after I got up.

In other weight/diet/exercise news, I unfortunately put on the best part of a pound at my weigh in.  To be honest, I’m actually surprised I only put on a pound, considering the crap I ate.  My guess is that my long walk on Monday and my sleepless night and resultant fatigue burnt off a lot of the crap I ate.

I think, basically, it’s a good thing I’m ending one diet period and starting a new one.  Hopefully, it will effectively draw a line under my recent poor performance (only 10 pounds lost across the period, less than half compared to the other periods).  My new plan is very ambitious, as I’m aiming to be “fat” by Chrimbo.

Obviously I’m already fat, but what I mean is I want to take myself out of obese and down into overweight.

If I make it, it will be great, but if not my next target for my birthday will stand a good chance of achieving this goal.  Once I’m down into overweight, I can hopefully look at slowing down, if not stopping the dieting.

While part of me wants to become normal weight, several other parts of me have very good counter points.  One big one is that if I get properly thin I’ll have real problems with loose skin.  Another is that while being obese is a noticeable health risk, simply being overweight is much, much less bad.

Thee are other points too, but those are the key ones.

No comments: