Monday 5 December 2011

sniffle

Well that was a crappy weekend.

On Sunday I really fell foul of a cold that seemed to be brewing all week and essentially spent the day in bed.  I still feel really crappy and don’t really seem to be over the hump yet.

The cold has come from someone at work, who’s been suffering for more than a week.  I really hope it doesn’t last that long for me - I really don't fancy a week of feeling crap and I’ve loads to do at work.

As I say, she’s had it for more than a week and it seemed to start coming on for me earlier in the week. It’s been really weird, actually, because normally when I get a cold it happens fairly quickly - I generally get a tickly feeling at the back of my mouth in my soft palette area, and then within a day I get the sniffles and that shortly develops into a soar throat.

Well this time the tickly feeling lasted for days.  I wasn’t initially sure if it was cold because of that, but then as I say on Sunday it really kicked in and my nose flowed like a tap.

I’m guessing the cough will follow soon, although given how long it’s taken for the rest of the cold to show up I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m still suffering with a sniffly nose at the end of the week and then the cough happens at the weekend!

In some ways I was lucky that it happened on Sunday as I had loads to do on Saturday, which I was able to complete.  If it had kicked in then I’d probably not have gotten it done, which would have been a pain.

There was also a slight surprise when I weighed in on Sunday morning in that my weight hadn’t really changed.

With the impending cold I’m afraid I really let my diet slip and ate quite a lot of really bad things.  Who knows - perhaps it was the sudden increase in calories that held it at bay?  What I would say is it’s weird I didn't loose weight.

Another possible explanation is that I really had trouble sleeping last week as the cold came on.  That tickly feeling is usually associated with a ramping up in snoring - it swells, so it blocks the airway, cause really bad snoring, which bruises the area, causing it to swell more and hence producing a feedback loop.

The problem really was hat I would drop off okay, but then after a couple of hours I’d wake up with that area feeling really soar and tender.  So I was then basically unable to get back to sleep.

Thursday night in particular I think I only got two or three hours of sleep.  And as I found before, lack of sleep tends to ramp up the need for calories.

It doesn’t make a particularly sensible diet plan, though, as generally I feel terrible the next day.

No comments: