Thursday 21 June 2012

2 fast 2 furious

So this was the first sequel to the fast and the furious.

It's also actually pretty difficult to review, since almost anything I could say I've said about the other two fast and furious films I've watched, since it is very similar to the other films.  It is, in a word, formulaic.

I guess the real highlight of the film is the cars and the driving about and racing.  Generally in this film the cars feel a bit more realistic, I guess.  They don't do quite as many stupid things with them, although there is still plenty of stupid.

The other highlight here is the buddy-buddy relationship between the two leads.  This works surprisingly well, though it's riddled with cliché and is a long way from original.  However it is quite entertaining.

Let's see, what else?

I guess there's the plot.  It's just as daft as in previous films and makes little to no real sense.  But then it would be shocking if it did.

There seemed to be slightly less in the way of cheesecake and hot babes.  I'm not sure if this was a real shift or intentional in any way.  I know these films have quite a large female fanbase as well, so perhaps there was a conscious decision to tone that element down, although it's not gone altogether.

One thing that is clear is that the budget was obviously higher.  The stunts are more spectacular and clearly a lot more money has been spent on the production as a whole.  Given the type of film this is that means it does tick the boxes in a better way.

The only real problem with the film is a lack of Vin Diesel.  I mean, the stuff that's here is fine, but without the Vin Diesel aspect it didn't quite feel like a Fast and Furious film.

So yeah, I'd say if you were into cars it's a good film to check out.  If you like brain dead action films then it's okay too.  Otherwise it's probably one to steer clear of.

No comments: