Tuesday 12 June 2012

bad mood

I've been a seriously bad mood just recently.

Yesterday and today it's been particularly bad, for some reason.  The real problem is I'm not entirely sure why I'm in a bad mood.

I think a big part of it may be difficulty with sleeping.

My difficulty sleeping is mainly a reflection of the time of year.  You wouldn't really know it from what's been happening with the weather, but it's very close to the summer solstice, which is the longest day of the year.

This causes me problems because I've always found it difficult to get to sleep when there are bright sources of light shining on me.  This isn't helped by the fact that bright light in the morning is a well-known cue to wake up and of course at this time of year it doesn't get late until very light and then it's bright early in the morning.

As such I've been struggling to get enough sleep recently and this is something I know makes me cranky.

The other thing is I've been really frustrated at work.

I've obviously discussed how I'm searching for a new job and this last few weeks have really underlined some of the problems with where I currently work.  A lot of the systems and processes we use are either massively inefficient or, to be frank, non-existent.

What makes this worse is that I know if I tried to change them then I'd hit the barriers I always do.  It makes things very frustrating.  It's particularly annoying at the moment because of all the activity there is at the moment and the lack of control I have.

I'm also a little frustrated with the job hunting.  I mean, it's going okay but I get a bit annoyed with the agents and sometimes with the companies and what they expect you to be able to do.  It's blatantly obvious that I have a job currently and I'm quite key to it, but they keep phoning me up at stupid times when I clearly can't talk.

And in particular, why not just send me an e-mail?  Almost none of the conversations I've had on the phone couldn't simply have been quickly dealt with via e-mail.

I also find it frustrating that they don't get back to you.  I mean, they must look at all the CVs for the jobs - a quick "thanks but no thanks" only takes a few seconds.  And it is their basic point after all.

But more frustrating is when the agents do get back to you and ask you all these questions and then weeks go by with nothing but silence.  If the company aren't interested then tell me.  If it was always going to take weeks because of their timetable then set that expectation up front.

It's also annoying that many companies engage multiple agents, but because the agents don't then reveal who their client is in their adverts you have to work out that it's the same job or you end up submitting yourself multiple times, which is just a gigantic waste of everybody's time and effort.

It's also annoying that they clearly just chance their arms a lot of the time.  I've had a few contact me with opportunities that actually I've already seen and rejected because they don't match (usually because they're looking for someone a bit more senior) and then of course the company reject me because I'm not a match - wow, what a surprise.  Which goes back to one of the problems of using the agents - they don't really understand what the job is most of the time, they're just regurgitating a spec that they've been given.

My bad mood is pretty obvious isn't it?

No comments: