Friday 15 June 2012

double dip

I have Monday and Tuesday off next week, as I will be having a couple of job interviews.

I've already discussed the other interviews I've had.  The first went well, but me deciding that it was probably too similar to my current job and that I wanted to go in a different direction.  The second went okay - it was nothing special but also it didn't feel like an area I wanted to move into.

At the time of writing I have two interviews - one on each day.  I'd actually been hoping with all the interest people seem to have been expressing in me that I'd be able to arrange a couple of other interviews for the same days.  That's not quite worked out, unfortunately.

There seems to be a bit of an odd split in that some companies as soon as they've seen your CV and decided you'd be worth talking to they want you there within the week (stupidly impractical) and others the agent or whoever "chats you up" and then it's weeks before you here if they want to interview.

So I've been fielding all sorts of calls from agent's last couple of weeks asking me the same questions and they saying they'll put my CV in but unfortunately the company's seem to have mostly fallen into the latter camp.  By which I mean I've not heard anything.

Now obviously that could be because they're not interested and the agents haven't been bothered to tell me, but it does mean the two days I'd taken off are kinda a bit empty.

The Monday is particularly annoying.  The company is not that far away from me but they wanted the interview in the middle of the day.  And I really do mean the middle of the day - it's at what I would normally consider to be lunch.

But it does definitely mean I couldn't just take a half day but most of it I'm not really going to have anything to do.

Tuesday is more sensible, as the company is based in Cambridge, which is a good 2 to 3 hour drive away.  The interview is at 2PM so that gives me plenty of time to get up there and, assuming it lasts an hour or so, I shouldn't fair too badly traffic wise (famous last words).

Weirdly it's this Cambridge day that I may wangle another interview on for somewhere in Loughborough.  Loughborough is a fair distance from Cambridge so it may not work out with time slots they have, but it's a lot further from me that it is Cambridge, if you see what I mean.

Anyway, upshot is I won't be blogging until Wednesday but when I return I'll post about how the interviews went.

No comments: