Monday 2 July 2012

revision?

So that was an odd weekend.

I guess I should actually start with the day before the weekend, which is more traditionally labelled "Friday" after the Norse God Frigg, Odin's missus.

Friday was the day of my most recent interview.  It was a fair distance away, but close enough that it was a half-day job.  I actually set off very early as the route is very direct, but takes me straight through a couple of big towns that sounded like traffic hot spots.  Indeed, this was proven very true on the way back when it did indeed take ages to get through one of the towns I'd been most worried about.

This did mean I arrived very early and I decided to use the time to have a quick drive around the closest town.  Big mistake.  The town was okay when I drove in, but as it approached 8:00 the place ground to a horrible stop.  It has a weird one-way ring road system around it and it seems to funnel cars towards a couple of particularly horrible junctions, causing the whole town to seize up.

Because I'd had so much time I wasn't late or anything, but I clearly would have had troubles if I had been a bit closer to the interview time (if that makes sense).

The interview itself went okay.

I don't know that I particularly bowled them over, but I also don't think there were any real show-stoppers in there.  I guess it really depends on the calibre of person they're seeing.  I have a few disadvantages (and advantages, obviously) with my experience so it can be difficult for me to judge.

I got the feeling though that, unlike one of my prior interviews, they will tell me if I don't succeed.  And certainly the timetable he was talking about is quite quick.

Journey back was okay, though as I mentioned I got fouled up in some nasty traffic.

The weekend itself was where the blog title comes in.  For my second interview at one of the places they have asked me to try to learn about their product a bit and it sounds like the interview won't be so much of an interview as a test or exercise of some sort.

I've had exercises to do at a few of the interviews, but this is a little different - more focused on the products they have, rather than general skills.

Anyway, that meant I've downloaded and printed out all their sales manuals and some general information from Wikipedia, so I spent a good chunk of the weekend reading it through.

I have to say it's difficult to know quite how technical they're going to expect me to get.  I don't know if I should have researched the physics of it all or I'm okay with just the products they make and their capabilities.

That next interview is on Thursday, so I have a few more days to bone up as well.

Also that morning I have a sort of second interview with another company - it's called "meet the team" and, as the name suggests, probably won't be like a formal interview, as such.

No comments: