Monday 6 August 2012

chillax

It was a pretty quit weekend.

Which, to be honest, suited me down to the ground.

Over the last couple of weeks work has been pretty horrible, as we've been bidding a big framework.  I have to say I'm not sure why we're bidding this framework, but bidding it we are and I have ended up with most of the actual effort to do it.

And it's been bloody hard work.  Hard work not helped by the fact I've had this horrible cold for the last few weeks.  It's finally starting to clear up, although it's still not gone and it's been more than two and a half weeks since I caught it.  But then it took several days before it really kicked in, so maybe it's not surprising that it's taken weeks to clear?

The main problem is that it seemed to get into my sinuses, which has made me feel bunged up and left me mouth breathing which then gives me a headache.  And as I say, I've been maxed out at work on top so I entered the weekend feeling drained.

In fact I entered Friday feeling drained and made several clear errors.  I struggled through and did a bit, but if we worked flexi I would have taken off quite early, I think.

So this weekend I chillaxed.

Well, I say that.  I spent Saturday morning cleaning and went on some very long walks that meant by evening on both days I was fit to drop.  But that was nice - it was nice to feel tired because of those sorts of things, rather than fatigued because of ill health and work stress.

I also started to attack some of the stuff I've recorded.  As I mentioned on Friday I recorded very little in the week, so I was into the recorded stuff quite quickly.

As it happened what I attacked wasn't really the TV shows I've recorded, but the Beethoven "Symphony cycle" that was played at the proms a little while back.  It was basically all 9 of Beethoven's symphony and was mostly radio stuff, rather than TV programmes.  I'm a bit of a fan of Beethoven.

Being radio I also managed to catch up on a bit of reading.  I've gotten behind with a few of the articles and blogs I read and while I'm not fully caught up it was nice to bring some of them up to date.

Chillax is among one of those words that I know quite a lot people hate.  I'm fine with them myself - one of the things I love about the English language is its fluid nature and how it absorbs words.  I could easily have been an Etymologist as I find it endlessly fascinating.

One I'm slightly more puzzled by is "amazeballs".  I think its origin is ironic, but how it's come to be used I'm not sure, particularly as it's actually slightly more complicated to say that amazing.

No comments: