Tuesday 4 September 2012

getting what's due

I've obviously been blogging about my job hunt and its conclusion (staying where I am) so I thought I might give a little update.

The stuff I mentioned last week as to why I hadn't blogged is actually part of the same thing - the stuff I was working on is part of the new arrangement.

This new job (or tweaked job) actually started at the beginning of August but it was only really last week that I was able to start work on it.  It went okay for an initial stab, but it really emphasised to me how much there is to be done.

The other thing I wanted to briefly mention about it was that my salary took a big step up (though not as big as if I'd have moved, though as I mentioned there's the possibility of a big slice of cake later).  However, I did not receive all I was due when pay came around.

The issue seems to revolve around a part of my salary that's really intended for me to get a company car.  At the time we were discussing it I said I liked the idea but I've only just paid off my current car so I'd want a little time before getting a new one.  However, in the other job offer this was covered by having a car allowance that is given as part of salary or a car as I saw fit and then adjusted as the circumstances required.

My current company agreed to the same thing, though at a much lower value (but then the other job was in London so I would have had a fair old cost of travel); however, when my pay packet turned up it was short by this exact amount.  Now while we're not talking life-changing sums of money, it's not a lump of cash I would want to be without!

I've flagged the issue, but so far it's not been resolved.  I guess sometimes these things happen, but I did make it clear when we were in discussions that salary was a big concern, since I'd not had a pay rise in more than 5 years.

The whole thing of capitalism is we're supposed to get money in exchange for out labour.

No comments: