Friday 7 September 2012

monza

Well, Monza this weekend.

It's in quick succession with Belgium as one of these double headers.  We've a few of these now until the end of the season.

I have to confess Monza is not usually a great race.  I guess in its favour it is usually one of the shortest!  The circuit is basically quite simple, and they get very high speeds on the long straights (though a few chicanes have been introduced to slow them down over the years).  It's quite Italian in that sense, I suppose.

However, it does mean that there isn't much in the way of opportunities for overtaking and so it can be quite processional, but as I say not too long winded.

The highlight of Monza is usually the tiffosi who are basically the Italian fans.  They're rather partisan, being biased in favour of Ferrari.  I can recall quite a few races where good chunks of the crowd upped and left after both of the Ferraris crashed out!

I'm hoping Lewis does quite well.  He started the season well with lots of consistency, but just recently he's been in a few incidents that have cost him quite a few points.  I'm still of the opinion that Alonso is probably going to win, but if there is to be a proper battle for the championship I would rather it was between him and Alonso.

I've actually got a feeling that what will happen is that the others will essentially end up taking lots of points off of each other, a bit like last year.

No comments: