Thursday 13 September 2012

unusual purchasing

There hasn't been any news on the missing slice of my pay packet.

I think my boss is going to try to just sort it out for this month and not give me the missing amount for last month.  Yet another disappointment.

Either way, with my wage increase I've been looking at loosening the old economic belt a bit and considering a few unusual purchases.  Well, unusual for me - most are pretty normal for normal people who don't spend all their money on DVDs and books.

By that I mean clothes in that I have been looking at the various options for refreshing my work wardrobe in particular, but also a few other clothing and related things I need - a new dressing gown, in particular, for example.

Anyway, the one I specifically wanted to mention was that I'm looking at buying a shaving brush.

When I first started work I only shaved every other day.  I don't mean I could get away with only shaving every other day as my beard is thick, dark, and grows quickly, but that I used to just go to work with stubble.

However, as I got older and as I've thinned down a bit, it's began to look like I was growing a full beard every other day.  As such, I started shaving every day (well, work day).  This meant I had to slightly adapt my shaving style as I used to close shave, but if I close shave every day I'm much more likely to get razor burn and stuff.

However, I've been somewhat disappointed with the results and one of the things I've been looking at as a possible solution is getting a proper shaving brush.

The best brushes are apparently made from badger hair and are surprisingly expensive.  I mean, some obviously cost a fortune because of branding or whatever, but even cheap ones are several pounds.  When you consider how "old technology" they are that's pretty expensive.

Another thing I've been looking at is mu whole teeth cleaning regime.  Primarily I've been looking at getting a good electric toothbrush.  I used to have a cheap one and it was okay, but it was battery powered (as in normal A4s) and after only a week or two you would be able to feel that the power was going down, even though I used the batteries with the power testers on them and they would say the battery was still 90% okay.

As such I've been looking at getting a proper rechargeable one, but there are so many different types it's quite confusing.  Particularly since it seems like a relatively simple thing - the head oscillates, cleans teeth, done.

Lastly that I'll mention is a nose hair trimmer.

I bought a cheap one a while back when the nose hair issue was at a point where plucking them was more agony than I could take and it did okay for a while, but again, it's battery powered and quickly deteriorates in effectiveness.

I also got free one when I bought my hair trimmer, but it has a weirdly long guard on the blades and so leaves the hairs really long.  Okay, they're not really long, but they're long enough that it defeats the point of using the trimmer.

The problem here is almost the opposite of the toothbrushes - there seem to be very few models and most are quite poorly reviewed and rated.  As such it's difficult finding one that's not too expensive but also does the job.

No comments: