Friday 18 January 2013

bookend of snow

So, as I sit here typing early-doors at work it has been snowing for at least 1.5 hours.

It's not heavy snow, but it is settling.  This is not particularly good news.  I had hoped that if we were going to get snow it would happen overnight and therefore mean I could skip the day at work (well, "work from home" but that's not something that really works for me).

Heavier snow is still forecast.  This lighter stuff was forecast for 8AM but is a good 2 hours early.  The heavier stuff was forecast for 1PM, but I don't know if that therefore means it will be early too.

The problem is the company I work for isn't very enlightened in terms of things like work hours.  We don't work, flexi, for example, which all our customers do.  That means once you're here you can't just say that you'll go home, because as I say, the work values are dragged straight from the Victorian era - if your bum's not on the seat, clearly you're not working.

I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

I've packed my sleeping bag and some extra warm clothes (I'm already buried under layers of warm cloths due to the inadequacies of the work heating!) as well as a bag of some snacky type food and a bottle of water.

It's not going to keep me going long-term, obviously, but it means if I get stuck I'll be able to keep warm, and that's the key thing.  Particularly at this time of year, with it getting dark early - it's easy to get in a situation where you're not sure if you're stuck because actually you can't really see what you're doing.

No comments: