Monday 21 January 2013

snow day

So shortly after I posted on Friday, the boss sent us home.

Well, I say the boss - it was the "sub-boss" who is generally a more reasonable, less Victorian kind of person.

The journey home was pretty awful.  I didn't get stuck, but the roads were pretty manky.  The A31 had quite a lot of snow on it and the other roads weren't much better.

I was actually quite surprised by how busy it was.  I guess a lot of people were like me - headed in to work at the usual time, but then it snowed heavily so they went home.

A couple of people at work wimped out altogether and didn't come in.  I kinda wish I'd done similar - they waited until 9AM to see fi the snow genuinely did turn up (never any guarantees).  It wasn't actually bad until about 10AM, but clearly wasn't travelling weather.  Well, I say that - in this country it wasn't travelling weather, if it was Canada or Norway or something, I bet they would hardly have noticed.

Now I had said when I went home that there were some thing I could work on, but I didn't actually do any work.  Working from home is not generally something that's easy for me to do (other people have work laptops, but I don't).  However, on this occasion there were two issues.

The first was that I didn't really want to do any work.  I pre-wrote a post a little while ago that I'm planning to upload tomorrow, and that pretty much covers the issues, but I guess the summary is that I'm struggling to whip up any kind of motivation to continue in my current job.

The second issue, though, was that I had a massive headache.  The basic issue seemed to be eye strain, and I think the route cause is that I've been doing a lot of reading at home.  The book I've been reading is actually a really heavy hardback, so I think that's forced me to read in positions that have meant I've been straining my eyes.

Well, the other factor is it's been a long time since I've had an eye exam and a new pair of glasses.  I don't actually think there's really anything wrong with my prescription as such, but the lens for my left eye is quite badly scratched.

A new pair of glasses will cost a fortune, though, so I've been holding off, but I think it's probably time to bite the bullet.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Buy your glasses online, I got mine from the now defunct Glasses Ocean. If you like your frames, just get them reglazed, I use www.ciliaryblue.com - excellent service and price.