Thursday 31 January 2013

red raw

This last weekend wasn't all about SimCity.

On Friday evening I had the odd experience of discovering what looked like a rash at the top of my leg, in my groin.  Now this was rather odd for a couple of reasons.

The first was that it looked a lot like a sweat rash, but the thing is with it having snowed last week I hadn't done very much walking at all, so I therefore hadn't done much sweating and so a sweat rash was a weird thing to have.

The second reason is that when I've had sweat rashes before they've been quite itchy, but this wasn't itchy at all.  In fact I only discovered it by seeing it reflected in a mirror completely by chance as I changed out of my work clothes.

My guess as to the cause is the extraordinary number of layers of clothes I have to wear at work in order to stay warm.  the heating at work has been pathetic this year and so I've ended up wearing loads of layers.  I'm thinking that either there was some rubbing or I was sweating in that sort of region without realising it.

Anyway, I was also a bit puzzled as to what I should do about it.  As I say there was no particular discomfort - with the warmer weather and the rain I went for a few long walks and I didn't have any discomfort then either.

I considered buying some sort of anti-septic cream or something along those lines - a moisturiser perhaps?  However, given my theory (which really revolves around the area not getting properly dry) I decided to take more showers (evening and morning) and then make sure I thoroughly dried the area.  I also decided to try to "air" it, which was a bit difficult to implement and meant curtains closed at odd periods of the day.

Anyway, this seemed to work - by Monday things were calmed down and you'd probably not know it had been there.  Also there's been some good news on the work heating front, which I'll talk about in another blog post, so hopefully it won't re-occur.

No comments: