Friday 25 January 2013

the end cometh

Apparently it's going to warm up a bit this weekend.

I've also seen forecasts for rain.  The double combo of warmer weather and rain should be the death knell for all the snow.

This particular bout of snow has been particularly frustrating.  It arrived during the day, which gave me that horrible journey back and also meant I didn't really get a proper "snow day".  It was also a Friday and it then didn't snow very much across the weekend, so by the Monday it was drivable and I had to go to work.

Then, this last Tuesday we had a bit of a mini blizzard towards the end of the day.  The snow didn't really settle as such (about 2cm maybe) but it made driving conditions horrendous.  The problem was that there was just enough snow settled on the ground so that I couldn't see the markings.  It was also dark, so I couldn't go on general vision, but instead what I could see with my lights.

All that meant I was staring quite intently down at the road in front (usually you look into the distance to see where you're going and looking for any hazards, etc).  However, because the snow was really coming down it seemed like it was all blasting straight towards me.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't very windy, so it was just the effect of me driving towards it and the lights illuminating it that gave that effect.

The combination of staring down and stuff rushing onwards me was actually very disorientating and made me feel a bit sick.  Not to the extent of throwing up or anything, but I felt a bit dizzy and really tired at the end of the journey.

I've also been getting up a bit earlier (which translates to "stupidly early" for normal people) because I didn't want to travel in traffic and obviously knew I had to scrape the car, etc.  Now if it had properly snowed here at the right time I'd actually have been having some nice lie ins.  Tbh, what it's actually done has mainly disrupted the normal stuff, rather than work.

So I've a huge pile of washing to do because I've only been to the laundrette on foot and could only carry one bag.  I've also not been shopping in a while so have run out of stuff.  And I'm almost out of petrol because I haven't wanted to do too many journeys and also have had to have the engine on at lunch to keep warm.

It's also played havoc with my walking - I've only done a handful of walks early in the morning and have been woefully short of my step targets since last Thursday.  Add in that, as I say, I've not really been shopping so have been relying more heavily on tins and things like that and I'm fully expecting to have gained weight when I weigh in this weekend.  Which is particularly annoying as I should be shedding my Christmas pounds.

So, long story short, I'm very much hoping they're right that the weather is on the turn and I can get back to a bit or normalcy!

No comments: