Thursday 23 January 2014

box damage

Before Christmas I ordered a few bits and pieces on amazon.  They were pretty random and included some glycerin soap (for shaving), ear plugs, a page-a-day sudoku calendar and 100-disk cake boxes of both CDs and DVDs.
Nothing particularly unusual there, but the condition these turned up in was.

The box was utterly destroyed.

I don't just mean a bit bent and damaged - it was so badly beaten up that there was little in the way of structural integrity to it: it kinda flopped like a sack when you picked it up.  It also had a huge hole in it, through which you could see the box contents drifting about.  It looked like it had been used as a football or dropped down an entire flight of stairs.

Every item was damaged except the ear plug, though in the case of the calendar and soap it wasn't significant.  The significant damage was to the CD & DVD cake boxes - as you can imagine from the state of the box, they'd been pretty much destroyed.

For one of them the spindle that holds the CDs was completely snapped, for both the outer cover was damaged.  On both a significant proportion of the disks were scratched and several actually had dents and chips on them.

I took some photos, so you don't have to just take my word for it:








I complained, obviously, and amazon were quite good: they sent replacement cake boxes straight away via royal mail (I wasn't fussed about the other bits).  They initially said I had to return the broken ones, but I then sent them the photos and they said not to bother and just throw them away.

I blogged the other day about how the amazon free postage service was causing me some problems and this was the real killer.  The other issue I've had was with delivery times: it's taken way over the estimated time for stuff to get to me.

The manga I mentioned buying took a full week longer than the estimated date, and the estimated date was already 1 week after when I paid.  In other words, it took 2 weeks for them the books to get to me.  And 1 of those boxes was also bent, and the other was basically so loose you could just slip the side open and take out the content if you had wanted to.

No comments: