Monday 13 January 2014

time dilation

Why do weekends go so quickly when weekdays go so slowly?

It's more than a bit of a cliché to make such an observation, but as I sit here typing this I can't honestly say that the past two days really felt like two days.  It felt more like about 6 hours.

Which isn't to say I did anything particularly different or interesting, it's just that time seemed to basically evaporate.

Not that it was all rosy.  For some reason all Saturday I had a bit of a "pulled muscle" feeling in my stomach area - like if you've been doing some lifting and tweaked a muscle, but not so bad as to put you out of action.

However, I think I must have compensated weirdly, as Sunday I had muscle pains in my back instead.  These didn't really ease today; however, I think that might be more due to the fact I had a terrible night last night so my body's not really had a proper time to recover.

For some reason I just couldn't get comfortable in bed (I don't know if this was related to the back - it didn't feel so bad when I was lying down), but also I just didn't seem to be able to switch my brain off properly.

So I kept napping and then waking up again.  Today I don't feel like I had proper insomnia, but I am tired.  I think to some extent it might be an after effect of the fact I slept really well and for a really long time on both Friday and Saturday nights.

I'm wondering if perhaps I "overslept" then and so didn't really need as much sleep on Sunday.  However, the reason I'd slept so much was that I'd had proper insomnia on Thursday night and only got about two hours sleep.  This was an insomnia that was actually prompted by the temperature.

for some reason this year I really seem to be struggling with sleeping when it's cold.  I mean, obviously there always been the odd occasions when it's been really cold and it's woken me up, but this year it seems to be happening a lot.  In particular this year it feels like there are cold breezes blowing across my face, though I can't identify where the heck these might be coming from.

Part of the problem is also that the bedsit is like a leaky sieve when it comes to heat, so even if you get it really hot before bed it cools right down after just a couple of hours.  And of course I can't sleep if it's too warm, so I have to turn the heating off.  I thought I'd cracked it on Saturday when I used my oil-filled radiator and put it next to the bed.  This is much more adjustable, but it has a bright light when it's on.  As mentioned, on Saturday I slept really well, even though it was really cold outside (thick frost on the cars), but as I also mentioned, this might have been more to do with being tired.

No comments: