Tuesday 20 May 2008

Like a part of me

On Saturday I popped down to my opticians to pick up my new pair of glasses.

My prescription hadn't changed much, but I'd been getting a few headaches and that's normally a sign it's time for a change.

I hate getting new glasses. The thing about my eyes is that I'm really short sighted. I mean really short sighted - I almost can't see past the end of my nose. As such, I wear my glasses basically constantly from the moment I get up to the moment I go to bed.

Well, when you wear something so constantly and they perform such an intrinsic function to your every day life, they basically become a part of you. For me, wearing glasses is part of who I am, and the specific glasses I'm wearing are like my arm or my leg - you kinda forget they're there, but if something changes about them then it's the only thing you can think about.

My new glasses are a heck of a lot heavier than my old ones, which were extremely light. So now it feels like I've got a half-pound weight perched on the end of my conk (even though it's only a matter of a few grammes).

There's also always a period of me adjusting and fiddling with the things that keep them on your face (the arms and the supports that sit on the bridge of your nose). This is the worst bit - it always feels like they totally don't fit and I'll never get it right, even though I've been through the same process dozens of times before.

No comments: