Tuesday 20 May 2008

Wibbety wobbety

I've been working on the company website today. Surprisingly, it actually feels like I might actually be getting somewhere.

The company site has always been a bone of contention with me. Initially when I joined it was a pug ugly lump of arse that just was not fit for purpose. That was created a very long time ago and since then many things have changed.

Several years ago I attempted to overhaul the site myself. Now I'm no web programmer and I've not got the greatest visual flare, but my main aim wasn't really to change that side of it, it was to update the contents.

However, what I really wanted to do was refocus the site on a much simpler message.

It did not go well.

See, the problem is my boss has a tendency not to want to make the site too focused. Instead, she'd prefer to make it all things to all comers. But the trouble with that is it ends up being no-use to no-one.

In the end I just ended up adding more stuff than removing it.

A few years later and my other boss is wanting to improve the site. This time I'm not really involved, other than to suggest a few things. In the end the work ends up beign done by outside contractors.

One of the key changes is to remake the site in asp and to make it so that we can edit the contents easily on-line. These aims were achieved, and so that's what I'm doing.

The problem is we still have this awful, clunky structure that needs hacking and slashing and trimming down and refocusing like I wanted to do all those years ago. I therefore wasn't looking forward to the task when I was told the boss is thinking of an update.

However, I bit the bullet and basically went through what I think si wrong with it. And, happily the boss seems to agree. I think she's been on the site and seen it looks pretty now, but was herself overwhelmed with the sheer volumes of, well, stuff on there.

And so I may be getting to actually make proper changes to the structure rather than just cramming in yet more stuff.

No comments: