Friday 6 June 2008

Pigskin chasers

God I hate football.

Well, no, actually I don't really hate football. What I hate is the culture surrounding football.

I hate the fans - neolithic, tribal idiocy at its worst. I hate the money involved - most players could build hospitals with their yearly salleries. I hate the sheer volume of coverage - thousands of hours of half-wits kicking pigskins about. I also hate that the sport never seems to fucking end - there's supposed to be an off season during summer, but nowadays that literally last a couple of weeks... during which there's normally some other damnable international competition.

But most of all, the thing I really hate the most, is this assumption that everyone is supposed to love the sport. And if you don't, then you're the weird one.

You may have detected that fecking Euro2008 starts soon. And no, I won't be "following it".

No comments: