Monday 1 December 2008

monday funday

Had a bit of a blow - it's like mixed good and bad news.

My "tappy friend" at work, thumper, was successful with his interview and they've selected him for the contract. So, yay, no more foot-tapping madness.

But unfortunately they need him to do a thing before he can work there and it's not really happened yet, so even though he was supposed to start work today he isn't. The bigger problem is that he had to do something similar for a previous contract and that took ages. So long, in fact, that the contract was over before it had finished, so he never worked there on-site (they just gave him a few bits he could take away).

I so hope the same doesn't happen here. Fingers crossed he now starts next week some time (so not much benefit before Chrimbo).

There's also been another horrendous annoyance. They're digging up the main road (the A325) in Borden. Unfortunately the Tesco's there is where I tend to do most of my food shopping and they've put these temporary traffic lights up that are just a total fucking nightmare.

The A325 gets a lot of traffic, especially at lunchtime and in the rush hour and the temporary lights aren't synchronised with the proper lights, so it's been creating enormous tailback. On one occasion I turned back as it was clear that when I eventually arrived I'd need to set off back again (and probably still be late).

Did most if not all of the intended cleaning stuff this last weekend. It was a bit knackering and the weather took another cold spell and cleaning in my flat when it's cold isn't that much fun.

Well, living in my flat when it's cold isn't much fun full-stop, but there you go.

I got the chance to do a bit of scanning - not as much as I'd hoped, but better than nothing. I've only 5 artbooks left now. I think I've been spurred on by that a bit - I'm up for keeping going with the artbooks, where I normally start to flag quite quickly. Maybe I can have them done before Chrimbo, you never know.

Anyway, more scanning means more animu watched:

  • Casshern Sins is good. It's actually a remake (and intended kick-start to a franchise apparently) of a very old show - one from back in the 70's I believe. Interestingly they've gone for a retro style for the character designs, but the animation is thoroughly modern, and it's very pretty indeed. I have to admit that I found the 1st episode very confusing, but after that it seemed to really settle down and it's got quite an intriguing story (although it is an amnesia job, which is a little cliché).
  • Tytania seems quite good. It's sort of a classic sci-fi show (or space opera, even - literally in the case of the opening theme :/) although the story is fairly neutrally told. The Tytania of the title is a family who are sort of a bunch of tyrants, but they're not particularly portrayed as being evil and there wasn't really any direct evidence of them doing specific cruelties or anything (well, they shoot some guy, but that's more about politics than them oppressing a planet's population or something). The good guy is also something of a flake, though surprisingly bright with it. However, it looks like they blew the budget on the CGI spaceships as the rest of the animation is a little... lacking.

Have you noticed how these brief summary opinion things seem to be getting longer and longer and turning into mini reviews :/.

No comments: