Monday 9 March 2009

goggle box

So this weekend I watched telly.

Seriously - that's pretty much all I did all weekend.

As I mentioned last week the problem with watching anime at the exclusion of everything else is that it means I get a PVR jammed with stuff. I easily had more than 20hours of stuff recorded and this weekend I watched all of it. It didn't help that this weeks rental DVD was 3 hours long (!) and also had a commentary track (so six hours total!).

I did manage to watch some anime, though. I watched Koharu Biyori (Indian Summer). It's actually a really quick turn around - the show only came out in Japan at the end of 2007, and it's a 3-part OAV with the last part coming out March 2008, so that's less than a year for the US DVD coming out.

It lacks a dub, but that's no great loss as I don't really care about dubs, but there are no extras to speak of. That doesn't make it great value as there are only 3 eps at about 30 minutes each.

It was also not quite as good as I remembered it from fansubs. I think partly it was my own fault - I was clearly knackered from watching all that telly, and it's a high energy, slightly zany show, so I perhaps wasn't in the best mood to watch it. It was okay, though.

It's a fan-service packed comedy, btw. Perhaps the most annoying thing was the female voices - they were very high pitched (another thing I didn't really remember from watching it on fansubs). They were also really fast talking (again, maybe it was more me being a bit goggle-eyed from all the telly, though) and it was difficult to read the subs... especially when stuff was jiggling.

Dunno - "okay" is my verdict, I think.

I'll be trying to watch lots more anime this week too. Luckily several of the telly programs I've been watching have either ended or were 1-off documentary types. Also, comic relief is this Friday so I think a lot of shows are taking a break while they put specials on and stuff.

No comments: