Thursday 12 March 2009

more mu

I've been watching Red Garden this week. I'm about half the way through - interestingly, the show is only about 22 eps, although there's also an OAV which is thankfully on the disks too.

Red Garden was one of those shows that got poxed up by ADVs implosion a while back: the last disk was unreleased when it all happened and initially funimation weren't going to put it out - they were fixed on doing half season box sets. Luckily they relented so I was able to get the last disk.

The other show that happened on was Welcome to NHK, which I'll probably watch next.

Anyway, RED Garden is pretty good.

It's firmly a horror show with just a smidge of fantasy thrown in. There are very few laughs and it's better for it. The show is really quite brutal, to be frank. Not in a gory way, though - it's more of a psychological brutality that these girls go through.

I have to admit for about the first six or so episodes I was a bit unsure about the show. In a way it's a bit difficult to love.

A good, obvious example is that the character designs are quite unappealing, if I'm honest - big bulbous noses, sharp angular, too-skinny bodies and horrible clothes are just a few of its crimes on this front. But after a whole you do get used to them. I'm not sure I'll ever like them as such, but I can certainly accept them.

I'll stop there as I'll start doing a full review, which would rob trismugistus.com of content - let's just say I've grown to enjoy it more than I initially did.

I'm expecting the anime magazines to turn up sometime this week - they may even be waiting for me when I get home. That should mean a weekend of scanning, so I should tackling the shows from January mid-season. Predictably I've got a bit behind with these - not least because of my determination to clear my unwatched anime DVDs, of course!

And speaking of DVDs I've been buying some more (eek). Baccano disk 2 has turned up. Can't wait to have all of the disks so I can watch it - I really liked that show when I sampled it on fansubs.

I've also been collecting Claymore and Darker than Black and they're about half way through the disks. But I also bought Rocket Girls, which is another show I really liked on fansub.

Plus I recently got the last disks for Code Geass (the error the company made was swiftly rectified, as I knew it would be) so I'll have to make sure I watch that too. I've not heard anything about the second series coming out yet, but I'm sure it must be pending.

No comments: