Monday 8 June 2009

oh dear

Oh dear.

Oh dear, oh dear.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Isn't it funny how words start to sound wrong the more you repeat them over and over?

Anyway, why the lamentations?

Because I have a horrible admission to make.

An admission that's so fundamentally against who I both perceive and portray myself to be that I'm at best embarrassed; at worst ashamed.

No I've not embezzled thousands of pounds; no I've not murdered someone. I have... wait for it in those annoying dramatic build-ups that are all the rage on telly nowadays... been watching Big Brother.

I know, I'm disgusted with me too.

I've actually been trying to think up some kind of excuse I could use to make it seem more all right than it is. For example, this is the tenth anniversary of BB so I thought maybe I could say I was watching it for that reason. I don't trumpet the fact, but I actually watched and enjoyed the first Big Brother series.

The second series was where it kinda lost me, as I only watched bits. Which was going to be my other potential excuse - from series 2 on it seemed to become very gimmick orientated. This time, I was going to say, it seemed a bit more normal. Only that's not true at all, they've been gimmicking it up to the hilt.

Also the types of people they put in from season 2 almost became cynical choices. Rather than just being ordinary (well-ish) people they picked annoying people or deliberately picked minority or other small groups so viewers could feel good about not being prejudiced by not voting them out early.

And while I'd still say that's less of a thing this year, it's also not a valid excuse - there's one proper glamour model and one almost-glamour model in there, for example. They're hardly your average Joe Soap :/.

So basically I have no excuse. I've been watching Big Brother and I'm one of those people that always bangs on about hating 'reality' television and its cousins.

Well, there is one excuse. And it's kinda contained in the paragraph two above this one. There's a glamour model with very large boobs in the house. And I like the big boob if it's not been apparent before.

That's not the most self-flattering of admissions, but compared to the overall admission that I'm watching BB it's the least of my problems.

And I guess I'll be posting some blog updates as to what I think about BB stuff. Oh, although it's worth noting that even though I'm watching it, I'm doing so using my usual PVR magic, so I won't necessarily be current or up-to-date.

The weekend was otherwise fairly successful.

Weather forecasts beforehand had been filled with the doom and gloom of huge downpours and cold weather. And while this wasn't completely wrong where I was, it was more like Saturday morning it drizzled and then Saturday and Sunday night it rained. Otherwise it was pretty dry.

It was chilly, though. I was tempted to put my heating on at one point actually, although instead I just curled up under my duvet. The cold weather did have the advantage that it made it more pleasant to clean my car, though.

Which was why the weather mattered so much, btw. My landlord has gone on holiday for a week, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to clean me motor. The breaks in the weather where long enough for me to do so - even for me to Hoover without getting a massive electrical shock.

The other hope for the weekend didn't come off. As mentioned on Friday I'm way behind on scanning and so had hoped to find the time to start, but there just weren't the hours available. Especially with me still playing a bit of catch-up from my holiday.

No comments: