Tuesday 13 April 2010

poltergeist

I had the weirdest time when I was trying to get to sleep last night.

If I wasn't a rationalist I'd have probably said I was experiencing some poltergeist activity.

It started with a weird flash of light. I was laying on my front at the time and it seemed to almost explode from the wall behind me.

The next weird thing was that I could hear what sounded like wind, but not quite. Sometimes there are random gusts of wind that give a very distinct set of noises in my bedsit, and this was kinda like some of them, but not entirely.

The nest thing was another set of noises that almost sounded like someone moving about in the roof-space that connects my bedsit to the main house. We've had mice in there before and it was nothing like them. They make scratches noises and this was much more like something big moving around, but not in a floorboard-creaking sort of way.

At that point I put my earplugs in, but not more than 10 minutes after that I suddenly heard what sounded like a knocking noise.

Because my doorbell is shit, my landlord does knock on my door when he needs to talk to me. However, because this was late at night there should have been an accompanying light from under the door if it was him, but there wasn't.

The other thing I discovered was that my duvet was upside down. I'm sure you've got or have seen a duvet, and if you have then you know that at one end there's always a means of fastening the duvet cover once you've put the actual duvet inside.

In my case, my duvet covers button up and I like to keep the buttoned end down the bottom of my bed, at the foot end. Indeed, it's one of my many little idiosyncrasies / pathologies that I have to have the buttoned end at the bottom.

Weird then that I discovered the buttons at the head end. Weirder still that at no point since putting on the cover have I turned it round. Neither have I pushed it off during the night and had to pull it back off.

So what was it all about?

A poltergeist?

Paranoia and/or the random workings of a sleep-deprived and/or booze-addled mind?

A random collection of events that were actually unconnected, except for their proximity in time?

Well, clearly it was the latter combined with a bit of the second one, since ghosts don't exist.

No comments: