Monday 12 April 2010

the wedding

It wasn't bad, in the end.

Since I'm pathologically incapable of being late, I was the first of the work people to arrive. That meant I didn't really know who I was supposed to be looking out for, apart from the bride.

It turned out there were 2 wedding receptions on the go at the hotel, so I therefore kinda joined the wrong one. Really this wasn't my fault, because the staff were cataclysmically useless at showing me where to go. Plus, as I say, there was no-one I recognised who I could use to clue me in.

Anyway, after wandering about, I eventually found the right group and then people from work started turning up and I didn't feel like a lost soul.

I walked down to Farnham, and I'd not quite appreciated how far it was. I think I mentioned last week how I've been trying to at least do a bit of walking and I basically figured this would be a similar saunter.

Well, where my little walks have been around 30 minutes long in my proper walking shoes, this ended up being the best part of an hour in my work shoes. I had prepped by putting some plasters on the main areas I get blisters, but of course that means I've ended up with some sore bit (not really blisters) where I wasn't expecting to.

Thankfully a work colleague gave me a lift home, and that was a really good thing both from a foot ache and booze point of view. I got really rather drunk, I have to confess. I'm not sure how many I actually sunk, but my best guess is six plus a couple of glasses of champagne.

Now really that's not a lot, but it's a long time since I've had a proper drinking session. In fact I was so drunk at the end I' afraid if I had walked home I would have ended up in an accident or something. I could in theory have gotten a taxi, but I honestly don't know where there is a taxi rank in Farnham.

Anyway, the do itself turned out to be okay. I mean, I didn't really know anybody apart from work people, but they had a band on and they played lots of rock and roll standards, so at least it wasn't a night filled with Agado.

No comments: