Thursday 22 July 2010

da pageviews

That's 'DA' meaning DeviantArt, not 'da' as in "da boyz", by the way.

But speaking of stats and pageviews the other day, I've been a member of DA for a good while now (5 years according to my DA homepage) and somehow I've wracked up 6,300-odd pageviews.

I say somehow, because I'm not that good an artist. In fact, beyond writing, which I enjoy, and like to delude myself that I'm not half bad at, I'd say I was a pretty rubbish artist. And even if I was actually any good at writing, writing is not generally all that popular on DA, plus I haven't submitted anything at all now for the best part of 2 years.

So I've had the account 5 years and for the last two of them have submitted nothing. I've never posted on the forums and I don't use the blog on there. Plus, I only watch a small handful of artists and I generally don't comment very much on those artist's work, although I do fave plenty. I also don't go around randomly commenting or giving away the llamas that were such a hit recently.

In other words, I don't do anything that would get me particularly noticed, yet I've got more than 6,000 pageviews - that's more than 1,200 a year, or 100 a month, or around 3-4 visits a day!

However, what's even more puzzling is the stats on some of my deviations.

If you look at my gallery stats the first thing you notice is that the vast majority of my uploads have next to no views . The written stuff in particular rarely breaks past a dozen views. The wallpapers I did faired a little better. One in particular, called swords from when I was properly active on the site has about a 1,000 pageviews.

(What's really annoying about DA's latest, shittiest version, is that the above mentioned wall is meant to be a 1,600*1,200 res wall that people can download and use. But, because of how this shit new version works, you can't get at it as a 1,600*1,200 res image. What the fuck is that all about? I mean, it was uploaded as a 1,600*1,200 file originally, but somewhere in the shitifcation process they appear to have lost it. Or at least there's meant to be an "allow download" option in the back end, and it's not there. Fucking useless idiots.)

But what you also notice is that this version of the space scene wall has a massive 4,319 views and 3,401 downloads!

Now I appreciate that's not massive by properly popular artist standards, but in comparison to everything else in my gallery, it's the equivalent of a one-hit wonder. Especially when you consider that the other variants barely scraped past 500 page views combined.

The only thing I can think is that somewhere out there in the ether someone has linked to that wall and it still gets a trickle of click-throughs. And then a few randomly curious people click to see who this trismugistus fellow is.

It's all a bit bizarre really.

No comments: