Friday 23 July 2010

i can't be bothered because i'm tired and it's tedious

Those where my exact thoughts last night when I was considering whether to continue scanning or not.

See, this week, in the evenings, I've been doing some more scanning. The reason was that I had a think about what I used to do and it occurred to me that I used to scan during the evenings and maybe if I started doing that again then I could catch-up quicker.

And on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday that was fine, but last night I was just so tired I couldn't be arsed. I'd actually finished an issue of NewType across the three days before, so it wasn't too bad.

Anyway, as usual, while I scanned I sampled a couple of shows:


Kaicho wa Maid Sama

This didn't really do much for me. It's a shoujo series and it seemed rather typical of the genre.

Also, I found it slightly bizarre that the main character was basically tsundere. I must admit I'd pretty much always assumed that those moe personality types were pretty much only used in things that were meant to appeal to male otaku. I'd always assumed that shoujo has its own set of stereotypes - I'd never really considered that one of the moe ones would pop up in a shoujo series, though.

And it's actually part of the problem. The idea of a tsundere is they're initially hostile towards you, but then go on to reveal a softer side. Well, in this show that seems to keep happening over-and-over in each episode. It's like a giant reset button is pressed after the end credits.


Rainbow

Wow, this was rather brutal.

It reminded me a lot of Sleepers, which was a film about... well, about a bunch of kids that end up in a rather unpleasant jail, getting abused, beaten and sodomised by the guards.

The thing with Sleepers was that it was supposedly based on something that really happened. However, while the writer claims that to be so, the authorities say it isn't. Also, while the first part with them as kids is basically believable, the second part involving the trial feels like pure fabrication.

There's a similar sort of problem here - it's presenting something that it's not clear whether it's meant to be based on real events (or at least, inspired by them) or if it's entirely fabricated. Now don't get me wrong, I don't go dismissing things simply because they're fictional, it's more like, because it seems so exaggerated, is it giving a false impression?

No comments: