Friday 3 September 2010

where did they come from?

Well that was a bit of a blow.

I've been prepping stuff for e-bay auctions all this week and one of the big ones was going to be my collection of discworld books. I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to sell them, but it's worth putting them up there.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to sell hardly any of the stuff I'm going to put up, but once it's been up there for a bit and no-one has bought any of it I can feel okay about taking it all down the tip.

Anyway, what I generally do is prep the text of the auctions along with the pictures before I put them up, and since there's going to be so many, I've been trying to get a head start, where I would normally do them on the same day. And I've made a bit of an unfortunate discovery.

I've discovered that there are two discworld novels I've not read.

Now I knew there were discworld related books I'd not read - there are some books aimed at children, for example, and there's lots of spin-offs, like the science of discworld books and stuff - but I've not read those as I'm not hugely interested. However, these are both proper discworld novels.

The two in question are The Last Continent and Carpe Jugulum. It would appear that both of these books were released (presumably this means in hardback) in 1998, so somehow I've completely missed those two books. I'm actually at a bit of a loss to explain how I've missed them, to be honest, but it gives me a bit of a problem.

See, it doesn't make much sense to sell the books unless it's a pretty much complete collection. Plus, I'm obviously going to get those books anyway and there's also the issue that I've still not read Unseen Academicals, which is the newest book, so I should read that too.

All of which is great from one perspective - yay, more discworld books to read - but annoying because at the pace I read it'll be a couple of months before I've read these new books, even if I start immediately. And that means I can't clear stuff as quickly as I'd hoped.

This process is also being hampered by the fact that the bloody shed hasn't been cleared. I mean, why drag me in and go "You've got to put your stuff into the shed immediately, because it could explode in some horrible fireball of death any time!" until you've actually cleared the space in the shed? All it does is massively inconvenience me, because I don't know when I'm going to have to do all the moving.

Plus, I put a bunch of boxes right next to the door in anticipation, which means they're right in the way and I don't know if I should move them out of the way (I keep banging into them). I bet if I do move them, I'll immediately get the knock at the door to tell me the shed's cleared.

No comments: