Monday 31 January 2011

more work? what a nice surprise!

A big part of me didn't think I'd be here this afternoon.

This part of me is rather optimistic.

It's the part of me that was hoping that, having worked all weekend, my boss would turn around and say - "Mark, why don't you pop off home a bit early?"

This part of me's optimism has come crashing up against the reality that my boss isn't that sort of a person. The other person who's sort of my boss is that sort of person. As soon as the last i had been crossed and t had been dotted on the bid we've been working on he would have sent me on.

This is because he trusts me and he knows how to manage people. He would also have us working flexi, since he knows that it's results and output that counts, not the presence of a bum on a seat. My boss doesn't. My boss doesn't have that level of trust or that level of understanding. To her if the bum isn't on the seat during the allotted hours, you're slacking.

And unfortunately the understanding boss isn't here today, so here I am, having worked something in the order of 15 hours over the weekend, still sat at work, waiting for 5.30 to roll around so I can finally go home.

Well, actually, I'm writing this blog entry. And I'll probably pre-write several other blog entries too. That's how I get my own back, you see - I do other stuff during the day. If I was able to work flexi, and my getting in at 8am meant I could go home at 4:30, then I wouldn't. But it doesn't, so I do.

What's made this all rather annoying is the fact that I shouldn't have had to work this weekend.

This is where I get onto what I was talking about on Friday, but more on that later, as I'll end today's blog post here.

No comments: