Wednesday 9 March 2011

pancake day

I think, technically, pancake day is called Shrove Tuesday and precedes Ash Wednesday and the beginning of lent.

Lent, I believe, is meant to be the period of fasting Christians go though before Easter. I think it's something to do with Jebus wandering the desert. I believe the idea was that pancakes were a way of eating up stuff like eggs and milk before lent.

These may or may not be right - I don't do religion, so I could well have mixed up some stuff.

Anyway, the real point is it's an opportunity to eat pancakes (or really what most people tend to have are the thin crepes, rather than the thicker pancakes or some recipes). I love pancakes, and have them almost without fail for my Sunday (treat day) breakfast.

My pancake recipe is a bit divergent from the normal recipe. There are plenty of recipes for pancakes, all of which involve eggs, flour and milk, but the difference with what I do is decrease the amount of egg and milk (which I also thin with water). This reduces the fat content, but also means the resultant pancakes are a little thicker than usual, which I prefer. Essentially, my batter ends up being like double cream, rather than single cream as is the norm.

In recent months I've tended to have the pancakes with fruit. When I do my main food shopping, which is usually Friday evening or Saturday morning, I try to buy berries. One of the things I found when researching my diet was that, on the whole, berries have very few calories.

So strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries - I can eat loads of them without much fear of ruining my diet. Well, so long as I tear clear of any sort of accompaniment, like cream or ice cream or sugar. But then I love berries on there own, so I don't mind that.

Actually, one thing I can and do like to do is chuck a load of berries in with a sliced up apple and poor on a low-fat yoghurt. Sort of like a very simple fruit salad. Obviously, this does make the calorie count noticeably higher, but then it's also pretty much a meal.

Anyway, point is I've tended to team my Sunday pancakes with fresh fruit. However, back when I first started this tradition I actually used to generally have lime juice. I know the normal accompaniment most people think of is lemon juice and I would have that too, but I prefer limes to lemons, so I would normally have that (you can buy bottles of the juice).

So last night I reverted to having lime juice, as obviously I didn't have any berries. But what it did dredge up in me was memories of when we were kids and my mum would cook up a batch of pancakes for pancake day. What we used to have then was orange juice, freshly squeezed from actual oranges. I remember it was a really nice combination, so this weekend I might buy an orange or two (and a juicer!) and have that for Sunday.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I had a juicer, it sucked. I prefer my method now: bowl, wire colander, knife, fork and fruit. Cut fruit in half, stab with fork several times, squeeze fruit over colander/bowl. Colander catches seeds and bits. Then you can do what you like with the juice.

I forgot to make pancakes. I'll have to do it another time.

If you whip your egg whites separately and stir them in at the end you'll get a fluffier pancake.