Thursday 7 April 2011

not so disappointing

In last week's weight update post I was disappointed at a 1 pound loss.

The disappointment was mainly due to the fact that I'd pretty much stuck to my diet and done the exercise I normally did, yet I'd only lost 1 pound.

However, I continued with the same basic approach, sticking to the diet and doing my usual exercise, but this time the weigh in revealed I'd lost a huge 5 pounds.

I'm clearly very pleased with this, but again more than a little puzzled as to why this same pattern keeps happening. The pattern I'm referring to is that one week I only loose a little bit and then the next week I loose a lot.

I noticed this happening last year as well, and I don't know that I'm worried about it, just puzzled. It's odd, and suggests there's some sort of two week cycle to things, but what things I don't know. Especially since in the week I lost 1 pound it felt like I'd lost weight, but then last week when I actually lost 5 pounds, it didn't feel like anything changed.

I'm actually tempted to switch to weighing myself fortnightly, but I also know I couldn't go that long without checking.

Still, I guess an average weight loss of 3 pounds a week is pretty good, even if it comes in the form of a week disappointed and a week delighted.

The next major event on the horizon is the Easter weekend, the other bank holidays and the holiday I've got booked. This is a major event diet wise as my next target is reaching 19 stone by my birthday. With the 5 pound loss I'm now back on schedule to reach this, but it might be close.

However, this is also important as I'll have the opportunity to do lots of walking, which will hopefully help me kick-start my attack on the next target. It's not a proper holiday in the sense of going anywhere, it's more a much-needed break from work and an opportunity to do stuff like sort the shed and give the bedsit a spring clean.

No comments: