Tuesday 27 September 2011

confusion reigns

I ate loads of crap last week and so got on the scales expecting a gain, but found I'd lost a pound.

I really found it all very confusing.  The only theory I've got is that all the work I've been doing has really been sucking the energy out of me and also I had real trouble sleeping on Thursday night.

It was actually one of the weirdest bouts of insomnia I've ever had, in that I didn't actually feel tired.  Well, I felt a bit tired, but not like I do after I've had one of my normal bouts of insomnia.

I've a feeling I did manage to get some sleep at the beginning and that, in effect, I actually just got up at about 1:30 in the morning.  But as I say, when it became apparent that I really wasn't actually tired enough to make it even worth trying to go back to sleep, instead I watched some telly.

Usually that would then mean I'd be shattered during the day, but as I say, I was just a little bit tired - nothing particularly over what I'd expect for a Thursday after a busy week.

I did also manage to keep walking during the week.  I think that helped keep the old metabolism ticking over and get the proverbial blood flowing, but I dunno, there's clearly something in the whole lack of sleep thing that means I do burn up calories.  I wouldn't ever want to use it as a technique, as it's obviously not good for other reasons, but there it is.

One thing I have to say is I was particularly annoyed with myself last week eating some of the stuff I did, but I have been trying to use it to some extent to eat up some of the more random contents of my cupboards, fridge and freezer.  I've managed  to get through a lot of the stuff that's been kinda been "hanging about" since I started my diet.

About the only thing I've got left is a bunch of pasta meals and some rice.  I'm fairly relaxed about keeping the rice, as plain rice is too boring and long-winded a food to cook for it to be "naughty eating" thing.  Also, having it there means that if I sneakily buy certain meals I can cook the plain rice which is generally lower calories than the types of rice you buy, if you see what I mean.

I also felt rather daft with the extra eating too, as it was clearly... how to put it?  Pointless eating driven by a desire to eat, rather than a need.

That's quite a complicated description, but what I mean is, one of the reasons people like me tend to gain weight is because we eat when we aren't hungry.  A classic example of this is snacking - eating chocolate bars when you're not really hungry.

Well, in the evening what I've unfortunately been doing is eating stuff more because I'm in the habit of eating, rather than because I'm actually hungry.  More often than not when it gets to evening I'm only really peckish, but because I'll have bought some extra stuff I'll eat that stuff, which is just un-necessary.

It actually represents a significant difference to how I was dieting when I first started this and I think is a reflection of the thing I was doing of buying strawberries (and other less good stuff) instead of sticking to my diet.  It's that 'habit' I really need to break.

No comments: