Friday 30 September 2011

pre-blogging

I've been pre-writting most of my entries for the last few weeks.

I've mentioned this before on here - it's basically where I try to pre-write a bunch of posts at the weekend so that they're ready to just slap on the blog when the days roll around.  The big advantage of this is that, if the week is very busy, I don't end up missing days simply because I didn't have the time to write an entry.

The disadvantage is of course that the blogs tend to be about roughly relevant stuff, but aren't 100% current.  This is especially true of the later posts in the week, where something important may have happened early in the week, but I don't mention it until the week after.  Or I forget and don't mention it at all.

To be fair, I don't think it's such a problem because my blog has kinda always had elements of that anyway.  I mean, for ages now I've been posting mini reviews on Wednesday and Tuesday or Thursday are generally a reflection on the previous Sunday's weigh in and the previous week's dieting and walking progress.  Then of course during GP season, many Friday's and Mondays have at least some content relevant to the weekend's race.

So in other words, the blog is often not really about 100% current stuff.  I mean, fundamentally I try to do the blog as a Monday to Friday one post a day thing, but of course life is often not like that - loads of important (or bloggable anyway) stuff may happen during one week, but then nothing happens for the next couple of weeks.

But one thing I have found with all this pre-blogging is it's given me an opportunity to use my laptop more.  I've been sitting on my bed tapping away at the laptop most Sunday afternoons, post race, and it's been quite a good way to do it.

The only real problem I've been having is that my laptop space bar seems to be really unresponsive.  I don't really know if it's a reflection of my technique, or some problem with the laptop design or something that's not working properly, though.

I can't touch type.  I wish I could and I did have the opportunity to teach myself when I was younger, but never really put the effort in.  However, one small thing that was part of touch typing (well, I think it is) did seem to become a habit, which was using my thumb to hit the space bar.

I therefore don't really single-finger type either.  My technique s an odd sort of both index fingers (one on each half of the keyboard) combined with the occasional use of the middle and ring fingers on my right hand and my right thumb for the space bar and then random occasional use of both my pinkie fingers for shift keys.

I'm very right handed, which is part of why I use some of the other fingers on my right hand, but also, most of the more occasionally used stuff, like delete keys and semi-colons is on the right had side of a standard qwerty keyboard.

But also, one of the other main features is I have a map of where the keys are in my head.  So although it's not proper touch typing, I can type for long segments looking at the screen like a touch typist would.

Anyway, the point is I use my thumb to hit the space bar and a lot of the time the keyboard on my laptop doesn't seem to pick it up, so I end up with three or even four words stuck together.  It's quite annoying when you're reviewing or spell checking to unpick the words.

And I'm pretty sure it is my laptop, as it's never happened with other keyboards, and I recall always having this problem.  In particular when I was fooling myself into thinking I might try to become a writer I used my laptop a lot (indeed, that's kinda why I'd bought it) and had the same issue with missed spaces.

No comments: