Tuesday 8 November 2011

no water

So I got back last night and discovered there was no water.

I knocked on my landlord's door, thinking he may have turned it off and forgotten to turn it back on (I'll explain why in a future blog post), but actually it turned out there's a burst main and there's no water for the whole street.  It had, apparently, been off for more than four hours at that point already.

Why does this stuff always happen to me at the worst possible times?

I mean, I've lived there six years and at no point has the water been shut off (the heater for the hot water has failed occasionally, but that's it) but now, the very day before I have an important meeting the water is totally gone.

And that's the thing I missed.

Water to drink being gone was annoying (I like to drink quite a lot of water) but copable with - I have bottled water, milk and other stuff - but water to do things like wash up, have a shower with, shave with and even use to clean your teeth is really difficult to replace.  And as for flushing the loo... well.

But the real key is this was happening the night before I've got an important meeting.  I mean, why now?  The odds must be astronomical.

And given the amount I sweat during the night I couldn't really get away with not washing at all.

I decided to leave a tap on so that if and when it did come back on and luckily at about 9:00 it sputtered into life.

Of course the water that came out of it was a horrible muddy brown, and the hot water had been emptied so that glugged and gurgled as it filled up for several hours.  However, in the morning I was able to take a shower and do some of the other water dependent things, so that was good.

The cold water in the morning wasn't brown any more, but it was full of bubbles and it tasted a bit funny.  Hopefully I can run it through a bit tonight and it will clean up and be okay.

I guess somewhere in there is a big indicator of my personality - my reaction was "why is it always me?  and why now?" but I could be reacting in a "lucky it got fixed in time" way.

No comments: