Monday 7 November 2011

holiday


So, back to work today.

Can't say I enjoyed it.

I dunno, normally I'm pretty happy to go back, but this time it just felt like the worst thing ever.

Part of the problem was that the holiday just flew by.  It really doesn't feel like I've been away for more than a day or two, but I've actually been off for more than a week.

The first part of the holiday as spent at my Dads - Friday to Monday, and I think this was too long.  Not that I don't like seeing him, it's just it meant that the Friday and Monday were pretty much right offs.

And when I visit my dad it doesn't really feel like holiday proper.  So, in a way I sort of had a weekend at my Dad's and then a four day holiday, making it not feel like long enough.

Anther reason is that the holiday wasn't really very good.  The weather was a bit meh (cloudy and drizzly and foggy for most of it and it was just the wrong side of chilly) and I didn't really seem to enjoy it very much.  I kept thinking about work stuff and as I say I "lost" a few days.

Usually I go at the beginning of October / end September and the weather is much better - just the right side of chilly, usually at least a few sunny days.

Also, the clocks changed while I was on holiday.  While this technically gave me an extra hour, I always find it a confusing experience when the clocks change.  Also, it meant that it suddenly switched to getting dark really early and that made all the days feel very short.

And I didn't really seem to get any of the other stuff done - I didn't pre-write any blog entries, didn't watch hardly anything on DVD, didn't read a single page of any books.  The only thing I did do was read plenty of manga and that was silly in a way as it's not really something I struggle to do normally.

One thing I would say is the walking and diet went pretty well.  This time I'd planned to eat some specific bad things (clotted cream teas, 1 Burger King meal and 1 McDonalds) and I think because I'd included them in the plan I didn't go nuts on the other days.  I also walked loads and so still managed to loose about 2 pounds despite eating those bits of rubbish.

When I got back things seemed to be manic - it took ages to unpack and there was loads of stuff for me to catch up on.  Plus it was a cleaning weekend, so that was on top of all the regular stuff.

I've also come back on a Monday so I've the prospect of a full week at work.  I usually try to stagger holiday so it's a half week once I'm back, but I don't have the days to spare this year.  That's partly because of the Grand Prix holiday, which, although greatly enjoyable, has kinda made a bit of a mess of my holiday timings for the rest f the year.

I'd also kinda hoped that someone who was filling in for me while I was away would clear up a few niggling jobs I haven't had the time to deal with, but when I got back I found they hadn't done any of them.  I mean, I don't blame them, it's just it would have been nice if at least a few had been done and I could focus on the bigger stuff (which didn't really seem to have advanced any further either, which I'm less pleased about).

To be frank, I'm in a bit of a "roll on Christmas" mood.  I think I may take quite a long Chrimbo holiday this year.

No comments: