Monday 25 March 2013

long time no see

Feels like months since I last blogged.

It’s been a hell of a couple of weeks.

So the first thing that happened was the stag do.  I enjoyed this more than I thought I would.  I was a little worried that there would be some uncomfortable stuff - you hear all sorts about stag dos, but there wasn't anything like that.

I mean, they gave the stag something of a hard time - they stole his clothes and he had to wear a skirt they bought him, for example - but nothings spectacularly bad or that made me feel uncomfortable.  The planned events were also good.

The stag was in Bristol and on the Friday we played golf.  This harked back to when we were kids (I’ve known him since school) and was a good idea, except for one thing - the Great British weather.  As I arrived at the course it started raining and got steadily worse.  Not only was it raining hard but it was windy and cold too so it was truly horrible to be out playing golf.

We ended up only actually playing 9 holes and calling it a day. We then ate at the clubhouse and found the house.  This was a mess - no-one knew where the house was and only some people had directions/sat nav.  I tried to follow someone and it worked okay for a while, but he was rubbish at it - he dashed through a red light and that was t, I was lost.

However, after a dozen phone calls for directions I eventually found the place.  And it was a weird place.

I mean, the building was a bit unusual - a huge mansion - but also it was oddly furnished in that it looked like some students lived there.  As in still lived there and they’d been murdered and buried in the back garden.  It was weird.

So we then got drunk - and I drank much more than was probably sensible for the first day.  On the second day we went clay pigeon shooting.  This in particular I was rather unsure about, but as I said, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

I dunno - it’s difficult to explain, but I was rather nervous around the gun. I mean, that’s understandable - it’s a 12-guage shotgun, after all - but I dunno, I was really worried about doing something stupid.  And it didn’t help I was tired and it was cold and drizzling again.  But as I say, it was more enjoyable than I expected.

We then went out on the town.  As it happened it was the last game of the six nations (he decider between Wales and England - England deserved to loose) so we watched that and then went for a curry.  Then it was back to the house for more beers.

This second evening was a bit weird.  We got back fairly late and I started drinking, but suddenly it was 1AM and we had to be out of the house by 10AM so I went to bed.  I think quite a few sloped off to bed early - certainly I didn’t see as many people about as in the first night.

I drove back on the Sunday and it was the journey from hell.  I wouldn’t say I was hung over particularly, but I was extremely tired.  So I was shattered and when the weather played up - driving snow and all sorts.

I'd taken the Monday off to recover and should have used that stuff to do stuff like watch the Grand Prix and tidy the flat.  Unfortunately I basically just played SimCity solid.

I’ll continue with more about the intervening time tomorrow.

No comments: