Thursday 28 March 2013

easter

Easter this weekend so this is the last post of the week.

I’ve no particular plans for this weekend other than to relax, given how busy these last couple of weeks have been.  I think the main challenge will be to stop myself from playing SimCity constantly.  Really it’s the perfect opportunity to catch-up on a lot of recorded TV and watch and read some other stuff - particularly since the weather is forecast to me more of this cold stuff.

One thing I didn’t mention from the last few weeks that I thought I should record in the blog was how I locked myself out of my car before the stag do.

Basically I went to the driving range (I haven’t played golf in 4 years and wanted to “warm up” and there’s a course with a range just up the road from work) and managed to lock the car with the keys on the dashboard.

I’ve done the same basic thing loads before - I sit in the driver’s seat with the door open to change my shoes, dumping the keys on the dashboard.  Once changed, I then close the door, obviously, walk around and get in the driver’s side.

Well I guess on this occasion I hit the lock button as I took the key out of my pocket (it was in my trouser pocket, where I usually put them in my jacket/coat pocket).  So when I closed the door that meant the car was locked and when I went round to the driver’s side I couldn’t get in.

Luckily I’d kept my phone in my jacket pocket, which I was wearing, so I was able to call work and explain and then call for help.  Basically I called the RAC and the guy came out fairly quickly.  The big problem was that the keys were clearly visible on the dashboard, so I couldn’t leave the car, which, even though he was still quick, it was a couple of hours before it was all sorted.

The RAC guy had the car open in about 10 minutes.  Basically he slotted some airbags into the car and slowly inflated them to create a wedge where he could slot a long pole with a hook on the end in and fished the keys off the dashboard.

It really did take him just 10 minutes.  Of course, it’s not something you could do without attracting attention, but it just goes to show you - it he’d used a stiffer rod he could have used it to pull the handle, which would unlock the door.

No comments: