Thursday 27 June 2013

bloody wimbledon

Wimbledon started this week.

If memory serves the main singles part lasts two weeks?  I think there's then a couple of weeks of the other types of tournament - doubles, mainly, I think.

I'm not a massive fan of tennis.  I do find it odd that we are really only pay attention to it in Britain when it's being held in this country.  It's like, "we'll like your sport when it comes here, but not before and not after."

One advantage of this is that it means the BBC basically fills up with wimbledon coverage so I have less stuff to watch.  The flip-side to that is that if they extend the coverage then the programs I do want to watch get shifted around.

This obviously impacted by if we have anyone who's in with a vague chance of winning.  Andy Murray is about the best player with a genuine chance who's fallen into this category for a while.  I'm obviously referring to Murray as being "a Brit" in the traditional way we English do - if he's successful he's a Brit, if he's not, he's a Scot.

The post title, by the way, is a reference to one of my Dad's stock phrases.  He has a lot of stock phrases, one of which is "bloody wimbledon".  It has to be said in a miserable tone and at quite a low pitch to get the proper effect.

Another such phrases is "the derisories" for cricket.  This is a reference to the fact that when the opposition does well (gets a 4 or a 6 or what have you) then opposing side has to acknowledge the achievement, but doesn't really want to show any enthusiasm, so they clap, but it ends up sounding a bit like the derisive slow hand clap thing.

Anyway, point of the post is that summer is now upon us, so I'm hoping that the amount of stuff I want to watch will decline.  This will help me watch the stacks of recorded stuff I have as well as take some of the pressure off when I've also been trying to watch the anime.

I mentioned this before but I've been in a situation where I've had to watch a bonkers amount of stuff.  I'm going to do a proper update (or two!) to talk about them specifically, but this is the list:
  • eden of the east (series+both movies)
  • steins;gate (series + oav)
  • kimi ni todoke (series 1 & 2)
  • ride;back
  • bunny drop
  • baka and test (series 1 & 2 & oavs)
  • No. 6
  • Freezing
  • Heaven's Memo Pad
  • Majikoi Oh! Samurai Girls
Which I think if you do the maths is something like 70 hours of stuff (give or take).  No wonder I didn't have the time or energy to blog!

No comments: