Tuesday 24 June 2008

moptop

I'm in desperate need of a haircut.

The excuse I've been using to avoid getting one is that the weather's so damnably changeable at the moment, I could find myself with a short summer cut when it's snowing outside. However, the real reason I'm avoiding it is I just plain don't like having my hair cut.

I've never been able to fully pin down why this is, but I think there are several factors. Firstly is the whole idea of a stranger with a sharp object very close to my head. That's never good.

Then there's the invasion of personal space issue to go along with that. I'm not good with that sort of thing.

Plus I always think I look really daft with a fresh haircut. It seems to take a while for the do to "bed in" as it were.

But I think one of the main reasons is that my mum used to cut my hair. Now this wasn't some random mum haircut thing - my mum used to be a hairdresser, so she knew what she was doing. But it did mean I hadn't ever had a haircut at a Barbers until my mum died a few years back.

So, in other words, it's not something I'm really used to in the way most people are, having not grown up with people cutting my hair.

No comments: