Thursday 26 June 2008

sir random of shizzle

Something a little weird happens when I write these blog posts. Normally, during the day I'll encounter one or two things where I think to myself - "Hey, I should blog about that tomorrow."

However, when I then come to write the post, I just end up writing a random shizzle post about whatever pops into my brain at the time I'm writing.

It's like today - I had something planned about how I really enjoy driving, but hate sitting in jams and this was going to lead onto some of the more bizarre "long-cuts" I've taken to avoid areas where I think there might be a jam.

However, when I started writing, all I could initially think about was how I've actually done some scanning and scanned in a newtype over the last couple of evenings. Also, I watched some Persona: Trinity Soul.

I tend to watch fansubs while I'm scanning - it's a convenient convergence. Scans take a while to do and involve lots of stopping and starting and waiting for stuff to happen, so watching the TV is difficult as you need to keep looking away and pausing, which is where fansubs are great. It also makes the time feel a bit more useful.

On the whole, I only watch fansubs to make an assessment of the series. Although I do dl all the eps (or as many as are done before licensing), I'll only actually watch the first three or four. This is about 1 DVDs worth and lets me assess the show.

I group things into four categories:

  • "awful" are the shows I'd rather scrape my eyes out than continue watching.
  • "poor" are shows that I could watch to pass the time, but would probably only buy if they were in some super-cheap boxset.
  • "good" are shows that are probably worthy of a purchase, though maybe wait to see if there's a thinpack release or similar.
  • "awesome" are the unmissable shows I'm salivating at the bit to purchase.
Last season (i.e. the shows that started in Japan in the october/november time-frame) was pretty poor. There were no shows that I put in awesome, and bot really that many that were in good either.

Perhaps this was due to me judging more harshly as a knock-on effect of the previous two seasons. 12 months before (in October 2006) Gode Geass had started and 6 months before, Gurren Lagann had started, so maybe I had been a bit spoiled, but still it seemed to be a distinctly lacklustre season.

Maybe that's why I've been so reluctcant with the new season's shows (the ones that started this April).

You see what I mean? I always seem to get stuck in the trivial stuff, rather than post anything properly interesting or insightful.

Such is the way of blogging, I guess.

No comments: