Wednesday 15 December 2010

into the blue

The weekend's movie rental was Into The Blue.

To be perfectly frank it was okay - nothing spectacular, but equally not terrible either. Actually, if I'm honest, it felt weirdly like a TV movie, rather than a proper Hollywood film.

I mean - think extended Baywatch episode and you're almost there.

And really the stuff it does well is the whole water-based filming. There are a lot of shots of very good looking (well, the women are a bit skinny for my taste) people swimming about in not very many clothes. And you get to see a lot of sea life and it's all very well shot and enjoyable to watch. Much like those montage bits in Baywatch.

The plot is less solid - it does basically work, but it relies on quite a few conveniences and expositional scenes that I'm not sure if I really bought. It's full of what I've heard called movie logic - it works at the time you're watching it, but when you think back afterwards, you realise it doesn't really hold up.

There was quite a nice twist towards the end, but more because it had successfully sold a dummy and even there, how it gets to that twist and disposes of the dummy is a bit ham-fisted. Not sure that really makes sense, but I don't want to spoiler anything.

I think it was also a bit long at an hour and 45 minutes. I think chopping 15 minutes off that - and there were a few sub-plots that could easily have been dumped. Indeed, there seemed to be a few elements that looked they kinda had been half dumped, as they didn't really have any pay-off.

But if I was to make one really big criticism it was that there wasn't really any reason to care about these people. At the end when everything comes up roses, it doesn't really feel like they deserve the pay-off that they get.

I'm also not entirely sure that it makes sense when you look back at the reasoning that got them into the pickle they find themselves in in the first place. But the point is more that these people aren't really doing all that badly in the first place, and when they get greedy they aren't really punished for that greed, just very unlucky, if that makes sense.

So given that pickle they end up in is almost entirely of their own making, it doesn't really endear them to you. If they'd been doing it for nobler goals than simply greed, I think I would have liked it better.

No comments: