Friday 16 September 2011

i need this

The weekend is rapidly approaching, and boy do I need it.

It's been a tough week at work, not least of all because several people seem to have gone on holiday at the same time.  That's meant that I've had to pick up a lot of stuff from them on top of my regular stuff.

There have been several things that have therefore gone un-loved if I'm honest.  And if I hadn't managed to clear off some of my own stuff before this week I wouldn't have managed to done most of them.

So it's been hectic.

The real problem recently is that we've had lots of requirements come in.  Usually we see a handful a month, but just recently it's been more like a handful every day.  And while most are pretty small things, they all need several days of effort.  And when you're a relatively small company everyone quickly gets maxed out with stuff to do.

But the real headache comes when you try to rationalise them - we won't do that one, but we will do those two, that sort of thing.  The problem for us is, because of how we work, it's difficult to really make those decisions straight away.

I mean, you can make them, but often you're simply chopping things off without really investigating.  And the investigation is the bit that takes time.  So it's a bit of a no win situation - if you do the exploration, you expend quite a bit of effort and may either end up with nothing or generate a lot of work for yourself.  If you don't do the exploration, you could be consigning the best opportunity you've ever seen to the dustbin and never know it.

Anyway, enough moaning.  And not that the weekend will be much of a rest.

It's a cleaning weekend, and that means starting off with a load of washing up at the laundrette.  I'm actually going to have to do three bags worth this weekend, so I hope it's not busy, as I'll need multiple machine and even more tumble dryers to get through it all.

Then I'll actually clean the flat and I'll probably give it a bit more of a thorough clean than normal, as it's a while since I did a thorough clean.  Then I'll go for a walk and all that before lunch.  It's no wonder I end up knackered on the Sunday.  Ideally I'd spread things out a bit more, but I couldn't work out how to do that and not simply end up impacting on other stuff instead.

No comments: