Monday 10 October 2011

japanometric

I have no idea what I mean by that as a title.

But then to be honest, I'm struggling to know quite what I mean by anything today, as I got no sleep on Saturday night.

Well, I've a sneaking suspicion I got about an hour at 4:30AM.  But certainly from 11:00PM on Saturday night I was doing stuff right through until about 4:00AM on Sunday morning.

I don't really know why I didn't get any sleep.  I actually went to bed early on Saturday, but I laid there for so long totally wide awake that it was apparent that the whole effort was pretty much wasted.  I think a big part of the problem was that I'd basically done nothing all Saturday.  I mean, I'd been busy all day, but what I was doing was fiddly and mentally taxing, rather than physically taxing.

I'd also been eating badly (I gained a pound on Sunday's weigh in, though it wasn't a proper like-for-like consistent weigh in) all day, so I think I'd managed to kind of build up a chunk of energy that meant when I tried to go to bed, I just wasn't tired at all.

And I didn't get tired until very early in the morning, which then left me with a bit of a dilemma, because the Japanese Grand Prix was on.  Now I have to confess I'd obviously gotten the wrong end of the stick the when it was on, as I thought it started at about 4:00AM.  However, the actual race didn't start until 7:00AM, with an hours build up before hand.

If I'd known it didn't start until then I'd probably have tried to get a few hours sleep, but instead I was waiting for it to start and perhaps drifted off for a bit.

This tiredness did hamper my enjoyment of the race.  Indeed, it hampered all of my day, if I'm honest.  The race looked like quite a good one, but I kept loosing focus and being distracted, due to my tiredness.

I didn't make the same mistake on Sunday, as I did loads of stuff that included washing my car and going for a one and a half hour walk.  I was truly shattered by the afternoon, which was great, but left me with another dilemma.

This time, the problem was going to bed too early.  This would potentially allow me to catch up on lost sleep, but there was also the potential problem of waking up very early in the morning and therefore mess up my body clock, setting it to that I keep waking up early in the morning.

In the end I stayed up until about 8:30PM, but this morning I was shattered when I got up.  I'll therefore try to go to bed a bit early tonight as well, although I'm doubting I'll manage that.

No comments: