Wednesday 14 May 2008

Half finished is not finished at all.

So I finished watching GaoGaiGar: King of Braves last night... only I didn't, actually, because what I thought was the last disk isn't the last disk.

But it is the last one that the company releasing it in the US - AnimeWorks - have released so far. Apparently, they announced a while back that they were putting it on hiatus (they were working on another big show, apparently) and then announced that due to piss poor sales they would just do a subtitle only release. Well, it's been a year and nothing else has come out, so I guess that means the hiatus is a long one.

See, this is part of the problem with being one of those anime fans that buys stuff, rather than just downloading everything illegally. Because anime is such a niche product (and an american niche at that, as far as my buying habits are concerned) it's really difficult to keep up with what's going on. It's not like you can just pick up a copy of Empire and see what's going on.

The thing that threw me and got me thinking the show was finished is that the five volumes released have 5 eps on each disk. So the count is 25, which is approximately what a normal show runs to. If I'd looked on the ANN link above I'd have seen it's a 49 ep show, but I didn't do that - the volumes just stopped being released and so I assumed it was complete.

Y'know, now that I read the above back, that's actually pretty damn dull.

Anyway, the real dilemma I have is that the show isn't all that good. I mean, it's okay, but it's not the type of show I'd hang on too. It's the type of show I sell on via e-bay. But the thing is, do I sell it now, or wait and see if the rest comes out? Am I sufficiently interested in the story that I will buy the rest of it? But then, if the second set of DVDs comes out and I buy them, then they'll probably not fetch a very good price...

It's something of a conundrum.

Granted, not a "war in Iraq" sized conundrum, but a conundrum none the less.

No comments: