Tuesday 13 May 2008

So, er... what do you want then?

I've spent all day working on a bid for some work (I have no actual interest in the work itself, truth be told, and that may be part of the problem). The task I've been assigned is putting together the CVs.

Basically, we need 1 proper CV and then a whole bunch of "pen pictures", as they're called. Pen pictures are basically just a little 'taster' to whet your appetite - you can't get everything in, so you pick out the most relevant stuff and then essentially say "and this person is the best thing since sliced brain surgery".

I've done both more times than I care to mention, and generally they're relatively easy to do once you've got the hang of things. The problem here is that one of the hot-buttons we've identified for the customer is the quality of resources. This means that CVs instead of being something that is just sort of there and they don't really pay proper attention to, they will probably read keenly and so they need to be "sexy".

And that's the problem. They need to be sexy, but I don't really know what sexy is. As I say, I have no interest in the whole area of the work, and the bid leader is not really properly articulating what "the sexy" is. It seems it has more to do with format than content.

Unfortunately, I'm also the sort of person that puts those two things the other way around - 1. the content then 2. how it looks, is how my brain generally works on these things.

So, whilst I have achieved plenty today, it doesn't feel like I have.

Oh well, at least it's home time.

No comments: